Monday, August 3, 2009

Babies, Moms, and Grandparents

Wow a lot has happened in the last week or so.
I suppose that it all started when I was awakened
at 4:45 by a phone call from my sister Lisa. She
was calling to let me know that her water broke
and she was in labor. Previously, she had told me
that I could be in the room with her when she had
the baby. I arrived at the hospital at about 8:30 AM.
For the next few hours Jake, Lisa, and I waited and
waited for something to happen. After a few hours
Jake and I decided that we were hungry and left to go
get something to eat. While we were eating, I joked
with Jake that while his wife was at the hospital
having their baby, he was out with another woman.
When we got back to hospital, thing started to happen
and eventually the nurse announced that the moment had
arrived. I have to admit that at that point I wondered
if I had made a mistake by choosing to be there for this.
I was worried that I wouldn't be able to handle it. However,
all my worrying was for naught as the delivery was much
less traumatic than I thought it would be. It was really neat
to be able to see a brand new person enter the world.
I can now understand the instant love that a parent feels
for a child because I loved little Riley almost immediately.
Thank you Lisa and Jake for letting me have that special
experience.


Now for the mom part. As is custom, my mom came
up here to Utah to help Lisa with the baby. She has
ended up staying at my house with Scott and I. I
have really enjoyed being able to spend time with
her. She is SO awesome!!! It has been really fun
to talk with her a bit. I have learned that even after
21 years, I am still getting to know her. On
Saturday my mom and I went to the Provo temple
together. I am SO grateful for that experience
with her. She also went to church with me on Sunday
and listened to about one thousand little kids bare
their testimonies. I have enjoyed all this time with
my mom that I really don't want to let her go home.
This morning I tried to get her to move to Utah but
she didn't go for it, so I suppose I will have to let her
go back to Eagar.
Last but not least, the Grandparents. Scott's grandparents
have been on a trip and they decided to spend their
last night before going home with us. They arrived
Sunday evening and ate dinner with me, Scott, and
mom. After dinner Scott and I played a card game
with them. I love doing this because I have never
really had grandparents that played with me before.
It was a lot of fun even though I lost. This morning
we make breakfast for mom and Grandma and Grandpa.
After breakfast, Grandma and Grandpa left to go back
home.
The last few days, while I have been stressed out, I
have been wondering why it is that everything in
life seems to happen all at the same time. I have
had plenty of weeks this summer with nothing going
on but then all of the sudden all within a week or
two my sister has her baby, my mom comes to
visit, Scott's grandparents come for a visit, and
tomorrow I will be leaving for a trip to Lake Powell
with Scott's family. I have been trying not to let
the stress get to me and thanks to a wonderful
husband that helps me SO much, everything so
far has gone well. So just like my mom always
tells me, "I can do hard things."

2 comments:

  1. You have been a busy woman! I am glad you are enjoying the happenings up there. THings are rather dull around here. Just a lot of green beans coming my ears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome Mel. I had that experience just before I had a baby and it was kind of magical for me too. I'm glad it wasn't traumatic for you, I didn't think it really would be. I tend not to be too mean in labor hehe. That one was a bit harder than the previous two on the pain scale, but otherwise I couldn't have hoped for a better outcome so you got to see how things go when they all go right. I can't wait until I get to meet your kiddos when they decide to come.

    I feel the same way about mom sometimes - like I'm still getting to know her. I still hear stories that I haven't heard before now and then, and spending time with her as an adult is so much different than living at home as a child. She's an awesome mom.

    Just don't let yourself get too down - make sure you come and see Riley and I a lot then so we can cheer you up :D

    ReplyDelete