This last weekend Scott and I drove down to St. George
to spend the weekend visiting his grandparents. We had
been wanting to do this for quite awhile now. We drove
down Friday afternoon and evening and arrived in time
for dinner. Saturday was spent touring some of the local
sites. We saw some petroglyphs and then headed over to
"the glitter hole." The glitter hole is a big huge whole that
is covered with gypsum which looks kind of like
ice or glass. Anyway, supposedly when the sun shines the
whole place glitters but unfortunately for us it was overcast
the whole weekend so we didn't see much glittering.
We then went and saw what used to be Fort Pearce
which was built to protect cattle from the Navajos. The
next stop was Jacob Hamblin's house there in Santa
Clara. I enjoyed seeing his house because of his connections
to Eagar. Last of all we visited the St. George Tabernacle.
I never realized that there were so many tabernacles
built. That was it for the site seeing. On Sunday we went
to church with Scott's Grandparents and then spent
the afternoon playing games together. I even managed
to win one game which is a major accomplishment since
his grandparents are the best card players that I have
ever seen. Most of the time I get slaughtered by them.
We left St. George at about 6:30. The trek back home
ended up being quite memorable. For about half of
the trip back we got to deal with a bunch of black ice
all over the freeway. About half way through our trip
they closed down the freeway and we were stuck in
Beaver for a couple of hours until the the roads were
cleared. Instead of getting home at 10 pm, we didn't
get home until after midnight. Even though our trip was
only a couple of hours longer, it felt like it was about ten
hours longer because it was so stressful with all the
ice and traffic. Scott and I were beat by the time we got
home. I can't remember the last time I was so happy
to be home. Other than that lovely drive home, the
trip was filled with a lot of fun and good times.
to spend the weekend visiting his grandparents. We had
been wanting to do this for quite awhile now. We drove
down Friday afternoon and evening and arrived in time
for dinner. Saturday was spent touring some of the local
sites. We saw some petroglyphs and then headed over to
"the glitter hole." The glitter hole is a big huge whole that
is covered with gypsum which looks kind of like
ice or glass. Anyway, supposedly when the sun shines the
whole place glitters but unfortunately for us it was overcast
the whole weekend so we didn't see much glittering.
We then went and saw what used to be Fort Pearce
which was built to protect cattle from the Navajos. The
next stop was Jacob Hamblin's house there in Santa
Clara. I enjoyed seeing his house because of his connections
to Eagar. Last of all we visited the St. George Tabernacle.
I never realized that there were so many tabernacles
built. That was it for the site seeing. On Sunday we went
to church with Scott's Grandparents and then spent
the afternoon playing games together. I even managed
to win one game which is a major accomplishment since
his grandparents are the best card players that I have
ever seen. Most of the time I get slaughtered by them.
We left St. George at about 6:30. The trek back home
ended up being quite memorable. For about half of
the trip back we got to deal with a bunch of black ice
all over the freeway. About half way through our trip
they closed down the freeway and we were stuck in
Beaver for a couple of hours until the the roads were
cleared. Instead of getting home at 10 pm, we didn't
get home until after midnight. Even though our trip was
only a couple of hours longer, it felt like it was about ten
hours longer because it was so stressful with all the
ice and traffic. Scott and I were beat by the time we got
home. I can't remember the last time I was so happy
to be home. Other than that lovely drive home, the
trip was filled with a lot of fun and good times.
One of the petroglyph rocks
Scott and his Grandma
Scott on the "circle of life rock" I tried to get him
to turned around and pretend to present Simba
to the animal kingdom :D
Scott tore his pants on some barbed wire at Fort
Pearce and of course it was one of my favorite
pairs of pants that he has :(
Way cool Mel! Looks like fun..especially the glitter part. I like glitter. hehe. love ya!
ReplyDeleteI don't think there is anything wrong with the way you look in pictures :) Don't change anything! Looks like you guys had fun and sorry about the stress of the road and weather conditions. I know how that goes!
ReplyDelete