Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Birthday Bash

This past Sunday was Cassie's 19th birthday and seeing
as it was to be her first birthday away from home and the
the parents, me and Cassie's other sibs up here in Utah
decided to make it a special birthday for her. I started
thinking about this a couple months in advance, trying
to think of something really fun and special that we could
do. Finally I concluded that if there is one thing that Cassie
likes in this world it would be plays especially musicals. I
then looked to see what the Hale Center theaters were
playing the weekend of her birthday. I decided on a musical
murder mystery called Curtains which was playing in West
Valley. I consulted Karen and informed the other siblings.
Then I was left with nearly a month to fret and stew about
how all of this was going to turn out. The days leading up to
it were the worst because we were going to be on a tight
schedule getting up to West Valley as Cassie has an American
Heritage review right before. I was so terrified that we were
going to be late. The Saturday of, Scott and I drove up to campus,
picked up Cassie and made a mad dash for the freeway. Like
most stressful situations in my life, everything turned out just
fine. We arrived at the theater, met up with Karen, Lisa, and
Wendi with more than enough time to spare. I was also nervous
because I knew very little about this play and had no idea how
good it would be. Once again all my fears were for naught, the
play was good and a lot of fun. After the play, we drove back
down to Provo where we introduced Cassie to the fine
restaurant of Brick Oven. After we had consumed our dinners,
our waiter brought out a few giant M&M cookies for Cassie.
Scott thought it would be amusing to bet Cassie $20 if she
could fit a whole cookie in her mouth without swallowing. As
a result, Scott and I are now $20 poorer than before but I
guess the entertainment was worth it. Scott and I then took
Cassie back to her apartment and we were so full that we had
to sit on her couch and chat for awhile. Then we went home
and day 1 of the birthday bash was officially over. I know I know
all of you reading this were hoping that this was the
end of the post. Seeing as it has turned out to be quite lengthy,
we will now have a ten minute intermission.

INTERMISSION
(just imagine that there is beautiful funky music playing)


Ok I am back. Now for the conclusion. Sunday was Cassie's
actual birthday and it began by her waking me up in the
middle of the night and accusing me of setting her alarm
clock to go off at 12:00 AM. I of course was innocent (and
half asleep) and had no idea who had done it. Sunday
morning consisted of church. As soon as church was over,
I gathered up my stuff and booked it up to Karen's house.
My assignment for her birthday dinner was to make pumpkin
pie. First of all, I have only ever made 1 and half pies in my
whole life and I had never made pumpkin pie. Therefore,
Karen was kind enough to let me come over to her house
to make my pies in case I needed help. The first pie crust
was a real learning experience. However, I am happy to
report that my second pie crust was significantly better. After
my pies were done, I chilled with Jake and Karen until dinner.
Unfortunately, the Smiths were too sick to come so we ended
up with a lot of food. Karen did and excellent job on the
dinner in a pumpkin and we even had fun convincing Scott
that the plums on the table were really beets. After dinner
Cassie blew out the candles on her beautiful and lovely
pumpkin pie. Either my pumpkin pies turned out alright
or they were all excellent liars. I prefer to think the former.
Then Cassie opened her presents and we hung out for awhile
until Cassie's next party was scheduled to begin. I have to
admit that I was pretty worn out but was very happy and
relieved that everything worked out. I hope Cassie had a good
birthday and I want her to know that she was worth it all.
You would think that by now I would learn not to stress out
so much but alas I have not and I probably never will.

THE END!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks,I really needed that intermission..hehe, yer a goober. I am glad it all went well. What a nice sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good heavens Mel! You are one silly lady. This is a classic Melanie post. So funny I had a coughing fit thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete